New year, new fears

Cin cin, all. I think mine will be a mojito at Confined Cocktails. Though I'm starting early today with a Paloma as I have a Drunk Women Solving Crime live show starting at 5.30. Fruit juice definitely makes this okay. The tequila is quite incidental to the whole. Anyway, dinner is a meal kit, so it'll be fine...


How are you all doing? I've had a very weird reaction to it now being More Than a Year. Thoroughly fed up some days, terrified that the numbers have been so flat for so long instead of going down, and thus maybe prolonging All Of This Nonsense (and are now ticking up, NO THANKS I am so tired of lockdown and sadness). But also utterly terrified of going back to normal. I've been ambivalent for ages, and certainly find the ability to work at home a few days per week a highly desirable change in my world. But not flat-out horrified at the idea of other people. Now... well, I can think of many practical and psychological reasons to freak out about going anywhere, seeing anyone and doing anything. 

I suspect I need pathfinders to report back, about crowds and masks and the availability of toilets. Then, maybe. 

But I'm also absolutely not okay about the other changes that have been masked and exacerbated by the pandemic. I long to travel, and I really don't want to remember that I don't have as much freedom as pre-covid, even once I am unimpeachably vaccinated. I also don't want to go back to 'normal' but find it cautious and full of rules for months if not years to come. (It will be, for good reasons, and I'll cope. But the concept of it sucks.)

Beethoven's 9th was on the radio this morning and it reminded me vividly of watching this flashmob video in the first couple of days of lockdown and sobbing. Not for Ode an die Freude (although...) as for all those people moving in closer and closer together without fear. 

It's been a year since you could stand next to a stranger without at least a faint perturbation of whether something deadly might result. No wonder I'm a little mad. I hope we all start to rouse from this seclusion, but I also hope we do it carefully and with understanding for how much we've all been though. 

In the meantime, however: sofa, remote comedy, and tequila. Take care, keep safe, remember the clocks go forward tonight so get some extra rest. Etc.


Comments