Veg box forays

Recently I finally ordered my first veg box. Yes I know I'm late to the party, but I was hesitant whether they were right for me. So far I've had two boxes, with the third one due tomorrow so I thought it would be a good time to review how it's going so far.

Veg box 1

A kitchen counter with a small box of chestnut mushrooms, a red pepper, an aubergine, two red onions, a pack of tenderstem broccoli, a cucumber, a bag of carrots, and a bag of salad laid out on it.

This contained - aubergine, carrots, a bag of salad, a red pepper, chestnut mushrooms, red onions, tenderstem broccoli, and cucumber. All things that I love and have favourite recipes for. The aubergine was used with cherry tomatoes (which I already had) and chickpeas. The salad and cucumber were served alongside various dishes and in sandwiches for my packed lunches. The mushrooms and red pepper went into a lentil bolognaise. The broccoil made a quick and tasty soy broccoli curry. The carrots were used in various ways - including grated in a sandwich with hummus, and as carrot fries with cinnamon salt served with a burger.

A blue dinner plate with brown rice topped with a green curry and tenderstem broccoli.

I did realise quite early on that weekly deliveries might be too frequent, and amended the frequency to fortnightly. 

Veg box 2

This one had - spring greens, spring onions, asparagus, courgettes, a red pepper, potatoes, broccoli, and a bag of salad. This gave me a courgette and asparagus tart; three bean chilli (for the red pepper); roasted potatoes, spring green, artichoke, and egg hash; and spring greens, avocado and green beans with bulgur wheat. I also made a chuck it all in stir fry which is my usual go to for using up fresh veg lurking in the fridge. Tonight I used some of the remaining potatoes to accompany a ready made quiche. I still have a few potatoes to use up and my next box is arriving in the morning.

A blue dinner plate with a courgette, asparagus, and goats cheese tart on it. On the side there is salad and roasted cherry tomatoes

Part of the reason for deciding to try out veg box deliveries was to remove some of the stress of supermarket shopping. I have had to do some supplementary supermarket shopping - including for fresh items to accompany some of my planned meals, so it hasn't fully removed that stress from my life. There was also the occasion I had to dash to the corner shop for coconut milk for the curry, having been convinced I had some in the cupboard.

I can also be something of a control freak so not choosing my our ingredients and thus potential recipes in advance has been a bit of a challenge. Luckily I use a lot of veg in my meal planning so I've been able to find uses for everything I've received and there's possibly some benefit to being pushed out of my comfort zone.

My next delivery is due tomorrow - just in time for me to go away for the weekend so that could be interesting. I'm not entirely convinced I'll keep up my subscription long term, but I'll definitely continue the experiment for a little longer.







Comments